Web of Science offers powerful tools to analyze citations. Use the Analyze results option to identify major authors in a field, determine who is funding research in a field, discover which journals are publishing articles in a field, and more.
1. From within a set of search results or in a marked list, select the Analyze Results link on the right side of the citation list.
2. In the analysis screen, hover over a results category, then click the view records button to see the citations from that category. Use the two dropdown menus to change the display to bar graph and the number of results included in the display.
3. To change the analysis field, select another field from the column on the left of the screen.
1. Within an individual record, citation information is listed in a column to the right of the citation. The citation network includes the number of times the article has been cited by other resources included in the Web of Science Core Collection, as well as the number of times it has been cited in all available Web of Science databases. The citation network also lists the number of works cited in the article. To view a list of either the citing or cited articles, click the number in the citation network.
2. To create a citation alert for an article, click the Create citation alert link in the Citation network column.
3. In the Create citation alert box, select the email format for the citation alert, then click Create Citation Alert button.
1. Within the search results page, click the Create Citation Report link to the right of the citation results list.
2. Change years included in the analysis at the top of the results.
3. Expand the total publications graph by clicking the icon in the upper right corner of the box.
4. To analyze citing articles, click the Analyze link next to the number of citing articles.
5. The individual citations included in the citation report are listed below the report charts with the number of citations by year, total citations, and average yearly citation count. For a list of citing articles for a particular article, click the link for the total number of citations.
6. To export a citation report, choose the file format in which you wish to save the report.
7. In the Export records to file box, select which records you wish to export, then click export.