- Have students read the report, "The Shape of the Coronavirus News Story."
- Using the report, engage students in the following discussion/writing prompt:
- What surprises you about Figure 2, the heat map of top news outlets contributing the most news to the coronavirus story?
- Compare coverage in the same source for two different dates about an aspect of Covid-19 that changed, such as mask wearing, treatments, effect on children, etc.
- Compare coverage of Covid-19 for a set time period between two metropolitan dailies, like The Seattles Times or Los Angeles Times
Tip: To do these activities, use library news databases or Google. To make Google search for a specific news source on a specific date:
- Use site: to restrict searches to a particular news source
- Use Tools to click on Anytime and then select Custom range..., and use the same day for start and end